INFORMATION FOR ATHLETIC PARTICIPATION
Current Physical and Mattawan Consent Form
Physicals must be dated on or after April 15 of the previous school year in order to be valid for following school year participation. For example, a physical must be dated April 15, 2018, or later to be good for the 2018-19 school year. All student-athletes must have a valid physical and consent form on file in the Student Activities Office prior to tryouts or participation.
Requirements for membership and participation
Prior to tryouts or practice
- Current Physical and Consent form ON FILE in Student Activities Office
- Academic and transfer eligibility per MHSAA guidelines
- Annual Participation Fee
Athletes must attend tryouts in order to be selected to a team!
During the season:
- Academic eligibility per Mattawan Consolidated School guidelines.
- Daily attendance at school and practice
- Adherence to student-athlete Code of Conduct
The Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA) requires student-athletes pass four out of six classes at the end of the previous semester in order to participate the next semester. Mattawan Consolidated School requires passing five of six classes on a weekly basis. Transfer students should contact the Director of Student Activities to determine eligibility.
Mattawan Consolidated School typically schedules physicals at the end of each school year at Borgess Bone & Joint on 11th Street in Kalamazoo. Sports physicals are also available on short notice at the following locations:
Borgess Bone & Joint Institute
Kalamazoo Orthopaedic Clinic
2490 S. 11th St
Kalamazoo, MI 49009
Hometown Urgent Care
245 W. Centre Ave.
Portage, MI 49002
Mon-Fri 8:00 to 8:00
Sat & Sun 9:00 to 7:00
6929 S. Westnedge
Portage, MI 49002
Open Daily 8:00 to 8:00
Team Selection Criteria
When tryouts must be held in order to select an appropriate number of team participants, coaches typically consider at least the following items in assessing individual players. One aspect of the list is not necessarily more important than any other in the selection process. Coaches must make discretionary judgments regarding players. Such judgments will stand unless a substantial deviation from stated guidelines and procedures is evident. Athletes must attend tryouts in order to be selected for a team!
- Sport specific skill and/or overall athletic ability.
- Attendance at practice/tryout sessions.
- Cooperative attitude/work ethic towards coaches and other players.
- Previous history of involvement in the sport.
- “Coachability” as reflected by following team guidelines, accepting criticism and attempting to meet or surpass the coaches' expectations.
- Positive communication with coaches and players.
- Potential for development.
- Desire as demonstrated through maximum effort in all team activities.